So as I talked about before, I went to check out Walt Whitman‘s birthplace on Long Island last week. The house itself was cool to see, but I found the small exhibit concerning the nine different iterations of Leaves of Grass the most interesting portion of the tour/visit. So much so, in fact, that I bought myself a biography to start reading for this summer.
I’ve never read a biography before, so this is a new type of reading, but so far it has really held my interest. I’ll openly admit both before reading what I’ve read so far and visiting his birthplace, I really had little knowledge of Whitman or his writing. For those who don’t know already, I’ve learned that Whitman was not only a poet but also worked with newspapers and for a few years was a school teacher around Long Island.
I’ll save more of my discussion of this book for after I finish it this summer and write up a review. I hope everyone out there is doing well and enjoying their summer. Stay cool everyone whose around a heatwave like myself today.
- Poet Walt Whitman’s Birthday is Thurs 5/31: Celebrate in Silence (onthewilderside.com)
- Walt Whitman (acpladult.wordpress.com)
- Oscar Wilde’s Letter to Walt Whitman (biblioklept.org)
- Sunlight & Poetry (ariel51.wordpress.com)
- To A Stranger: Walt Whitman (michellechaplin.com)
- Walt Whitman (May 31, 1819 – March 26, 1892) (paganreveries.wordpress.com)